Friday, August 5, 2011

Oxford

Today we went out to Oxford which is a 1 hour train ride from Central London. The trip there was rather lousy, the train was so overcrowded that we go squished into a corner of the doorway. In the end, it got us there though. To begin the trip, we just kind of walked into the city with a tourist map. We got dropped off in the centre so it wasn't too complicated. The first impression that I got was that it was very homey, probably because it still has a lot of buildings with early Roman architecture, much like the ones in Vienna. There were bikes everywhere and many weren't locked up. Somehow, that also said a lot. I wanted to go to the University since it's one of the main places I've been looking into to study at. To get there, we had to go through the shopping centre. It was pretty crowded though I assume that's because it's summer and people, like myself, are visiting. We passed the Oxford castle on the way and went on a tour which was really awesome! And then continued down the shopping area. There are all types of stores and restaurants from all areas of the world. We stopped in one called Eat for lunch. They have them all over England and they are quite amazing. It's half bakery and half health food, ranging from salads to sandwiches to soups to pies (The English type). After, we went to one of the oldest coffee shops for tea and then finally made it to the main University buildings were the office gave me an information book and I walked through the housing area. We went to the Uni garden which was giant and beautiful. Then roamed around, stopping at a printing company ( Blackwell Publishing ) and going back to London. I have over 100 pictures that I'm uploading to flickr and will post the links in a follow-up post once they uploads. Overall, I love Oxford, it's an amazing place. Tomorrow, I'm going to Greenwich.

No comments:

Post a Comment